Published: 20th Aug 2014
Hundreds of South Yorkshire residents have seen their broadband service cut off without warning following the shutdown of the failed Digital Region network.
The project, which cost the taxpayer millions, failed to attract enough subscribers and was permanently closed down last week.
As a result, many of the people who were using the network suddenly found themselves without internet access on Friday (August 15th).
The company behind the scheme - Origin Broadband - has since been bombarded with complaints from angry customers.
Peter Lowes, head of operations at the firm, told local newspaper the Star: "The reason Origin didn’t warn customers that they were going to lose service is that we didn’t know that this would happen until the closure was imminent."
He said the company "deeply regrets" what has happened and will be refunding those people left without connectivity.
Last month, it was revealed areas of central Sheffield will be excluded from the government's deal to bring superf-fast broadband to South Yorkshire.
The fact the Digital Region network was already present in the city is believed to have played a part in this decision.
Where would you like to go next?
Ready to buy?
Open Mon-Fri: 8:00am - 8:00pm, Sat: 10:00am - 4:00pm
Or request a call back by leaving your name and number.