Published: 18th Oct 2013
Satellite broadband has allowed the European Union to achieve its target of providing 100 per cent internet coverage across its member states.
In an official statement, the organisation said satellite connections are available in all 28 EU nations, meaning every person on the continent now has the chance to go online.
Vice president of the European Commission Neelie Kroes stated: "My motto is Every European Digital – now every European genuinely has the opportunity. We have more to do to improve networks and equalise the opportunity, but the opportunity is there."
She praised the impact of satellite broadband and described the news as a "great result" for EU citizens.
By the end of 2012, 99.4 per cent of Europeans had some form of online access, but the remaining 0.6 per cent - around three million people - lived in isolated, rural areas where a good connection was hard to obtain.
However, thanks to satellite technology - which is ideal for such locations - these individuals can now access the internet.
Where would you like to go next?
Ready to buy?
Open Mon-Fri: 8:00am - 8:00pm, Sat: 10:00am - 4:00pm
Or request a call back by leaving your name and number.